My Photo
Name:
Location: Guildford, Surrey, United Kingdom

Monday, February 13, 2006

Spare a thought...

Well, this is my 1st post, so I've been racking my brains to think of something to say that's worth reading, as we all know that the content of my posts will go downhill from this point. So here goes...

On Friday morning when I was thinking about creating a blog as an alternative to finishing off my coursework, I was looking out of my window. Looking past the bike sheds, and the wheely bins, I looked up at a beautiful blue sky, and saw the sun being reflected off the side of the library. It reminded me of something that I'd heard in church once...

"How must it feel to not know who to thank for this beautiful day?"

Somehow I reckon that must take some of the joy out of the day. Whereas I see the proof of a loving God, and thank him that I only need to wear one jumper this morning, others just wonder how the weather forecast managed to be so wrong - again.

After the recent Richard Dawkins programmes on Channel 4, 'The Root Of All Evil', there was a lot of criticism in the press, from Christians and non-Christians alike. Rather a scathing comment in 'The Independent' written by Howard Jacobson was this:
"Nothing returns one quicker to God than the sight of a scientist with no imagination, no vocabulary, no sympathy, no comprehension of metaphor, and no wit, looking soulless and forlorn amid the wonders of nature." [The Independent, 21st January 2006]

It was from that point onwards that I started feeling really sorry for this man who has so completely missed the point of life. I can't think that there can be much satisfaction in believing that you're some kind of fluke, an accident of cosmic parking, rather than realising the truth that each and every one of us has been lovingly created in the image of God.

"God saw all that He had made, and it was very good." [Genesis 1:31] The world's greatest understatement I think, but I shall try harder to spare a thought for those who don't know who to thank.

1 Comments:

Blogger Gauri said...

oh hello.

9:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home