My Photo
Name:
Location: Guildford, Surrey, United Kingdom

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

'The saying is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the foremost' (1Timothy 1:15, ESV)

Most Christians don't have a problem with the first part of this verse, it's quite central to our entire belief system, so why, when they accept the first part of this verse, so they have such a hard time accepting the second part?!?

I am a sinner, a screw-up, a miserable pathetic excuse for a human being, and I fall so far short of God's standards for my life on a daily basis. I'm not just blowing hot air here, I really am crap. BUT... God, and only God will be my judge, and I am fortunate enough to know his forgiveness, in fact his grace really does blow my mind. I'm not trying to sound like a stuck-up, holier-than-thou kind of person by saying that, I really am astounded by the ways God blesses me, despite everything I have done, and continue to do.

Why then, should I, or any other Christian sit back and let ourselves be judged by people who are, by God's standards, no better than us?!? Seriously, any ideas?

Over the last few months I have had the pleasure of meeting far too many judgemental Christians who think they have all the answers, and are really quite well sorted as human beings. I will not be judged by these people, they have no authority to judge me, just as I have no right to judge them.

'Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when there is the log in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye' (Matthew 7:3-5, ESV)

You have been warned...

4 Comments:

Blogger Paul said...

At last, a new post!

Good stuff... just remember the gift of the local church, exhortation and church discipline, where necessary.

11:29 PM  
Blogger Cat said...

Ah finally!

Yes good post... yet I was thinking what Paul said before I saw him say it! haha

It is not right for us to judge, but there is a place for exhortation and church discipline. The scriptures are used for teaching and rebuking. It is sometimes good and humbling for someone to tell you "what you are doing doesn't Glorify God" or "that is wrong". God can use people to show his judgement. :-)

Keep them coming!

11:37 PM  
Blogger Andy said...

I fear that I haven't made it quite clear what I am referring to. I am in no way challenging the right of the church to discipline, nor the right of people to guide you constructively with a loving heart. It's the people that gossip and judge with no love in their heart that quite frankly disgust me.

11:45 PM  
Blogger thebluefish said...

a really helpful post Andy,
thank u :)

9:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home